Monday, May 20, 2013

Like a roller coaster ride...

Oh, wait. It actually was a roller coaster ride.

If not for this 37 for 37 challenge, I would not have gone on this ride (the Battlestar Galactica: Human, Red track). I don't think I would have gone to Universal Studios either. I am not a theme-park person. But I would go to these parks at least once in my life, so I can perpetuate that idea of myself as someone who is not a theme-park person (if that makes sense).


But I went. Because I had a weekend in between work/meetings. And except for food tripping and shopping, there is not much to do in Singapore (but if shopping is your only purpose for living, then this is the place for you). I think Singapore is one big theme park but that's just me. A lot of tourists enjoy the attractions, but to me, that's what the city is all about - just attractions. I find everything about the city polished, manufactured, designed to attract tourists or impress visitors. And even its rough edges seem contrived. Ok, that's a bit harsh I admit. It has its charms and in the many years that I have been going to Singapore for work, I found the charm of this country through the eyes of the locals or the migrants who have made this their home. Their local food haunts, the best hawker places, a watering hole...etc.

I digress...now back to the roller coaster. The rules of the 37 for 37 challenge state that if it's a place you've been to before you have to visit some place that is new to you. So roller coaster ride it is.

After California Screamin' roller coaster in Disneyland California, I said I will never ride another roller coaster again. My first was the Space Shuttle in Enchanted Kingdom, Laguna, Philippines but it was nothing compared to the the 108-foot drop from the highest point of 120 feet of the one in Disneyland. That was the scariest part, the drop. And then this, the tallest dueling roller coasters in the world- we saved this ride for last and all throughout the queue, I was nervous as hell. But what made me try it? Two things: (1) i saw all the loops and I am ok with loops, even the one with inversion and there was no death-defying drops. I don't like falling. No, not at all; (2) I timed it and it lasted only 60 seconds. I remember a line from the movie "We bought a zoo" that goes: all you need is 20 seconds of courage. So for the whole 60 seconds of that ride I screamed, and screamed. It was what I needed- an excuse to scream out loud. It was a stressful week, and an even more stressful week before that and ahead. So it's the best outlet in the world. If every one who is stressed screamed their lungs out once every two weeks, the world will be a happier place, this will be the end to world wars.


But having said this, I am not sure I can muster enough courage to try another roller coaster ride but who knows? Maybe the next challenge will be 38 roller coaster rides from all over the world. Now, that has to be done before my heart gets too old, too weary, and too weak to take all that excitement.

(This is trip no. 10 of the 37 for 37 challenge)



1 comment:

sojournersol said...

Congrats for having conquered Battlestar Galactica. I never got to ride it coz Mom's plea prevailed over my seeking for adrenaline rush. But take note, Mommy joined us for The Mummy ride. A senior citizen in such a freaking ride. She was the oldest in the batch and she was seated next to a tweener. And guess who was namumutla at the end of the ride? The tweener. And Mommy had to console him that everything was all right.