Monday, May 11, 2009

Single-serving

I was an anomaly in South Korea. Not for any other reasons but for these: I was a tourist. A woman. Dining. Alone.

I have had solitary dining experiences in a good number of cities, in four continents. More often than not, I travel alone and I have never felt that dining by my lonesome was an anomaly until now (or maybe once in Sri Lanka but that’s another story).

Of the two nights I was in the country, one I spent having a group dinner with the people who came for the meeting, the other night I decided to spend part of it by myself. I refused dinner invitations from a couple of people but a made half a commitment to join the group to go clubbing later that night.

I should have heeded all the signs. I spent an hour walking around looking for restaurants that had pictures of food that was for a single serving. There were Western Cafes that had single-serving but who would want to eat Carbonara if it was there first time in Korea? I peered through restaurant windows and mentally took note of whether there were tables for one. There were none. All over, I saw groups, congregations, couples. The receptionist at the restaurant I finally settled on had a perplexed look on her face when I asked for a table for one. The waiter who took my order had to go comb through the menu to look for a dish that would be good for one. Even the glass of coke had two straws in it. The Korean guide for the night out, when I asked her if people in Korea ever ate out alone said in a very definitive tone: Never. So that’s that. I decided to get back at the Seoul that had no room for single people by going out and being sociable. But maybe I should not be blaming the city or the country. Maybe it’s me beginning to notice or to mind.











2 comments:

dyndyn said...

Got a song for you - "Alone Again, Naturally". You want me to sing it?
hehe.

I don't know if I should say this, this may sound culturally offensive or insensitive. The suicide rate in SK is quite high, maybe because of the pressure of having to tag along someone as accessory, of not being encouraged to do things on your own.

I don't think I will be able to travel in those part in my lifetime for reasons of economics but now that you informed us that it's an anti-spinster country, I will have more than second thoughts.

Pastilan nga comment, waray hangkag. Basta la maka-comment.

Do blog more often, Jetsu

Maria Ganja said...

Additional observation (with emphasis on observation, no judgment), you seldom see them walking alone, they are always in groups or in pairs. There must be a socio-cultural explanation to how idividuality is suppressed in one society. Imagine if spinsters like us were culturally pressured to find a padis...hagi kamakalilisang.