Saturday, January 5, 2008

Greetings for the New Year



In 2007, I said goodbye to smoking, and except for one minor lapse one drunken-night among strangers, have never smoked cigarettes since; watched my parents walk down the aisle on their 40th wedding anniversary; swam with the Butanding one summer weekend and saw Mayon Volcano for the first time; met and made new friends; met newfound cousins; was unexpectedly told I am loved by a dearest friend, which drove Tita Gigi to tears when I told her about it; walked the ruins of an ancient city in Thailand; was happy to see an aunt recover from breast cancer and prayed fervently for the recovery of another good friend; spent 6 months getting an open water diver’s license and spent oh so many weekends by the beach and 60 feet underwater, was treated to a weekend in Las Vegas by very good friends whom I have known since grade school and I finally realized what ‘handsome’ is while watching Chippendales; was blessed with my parents’ good health and unwavering good sense of humor; drove a mini cooper in suburban roads of Amherst and enjoyed an spectacular solo early morning drive from Tagaytay to Batangas; was excited to welcome a cousin’s new baby; felt for a friend’s grief over a recent loss; finished reading many good books while spending so many hours in many different pre-departure areas; enjoyed a night of music and heard my favorite song ‘Smile’ played with a passion that resonated from deep within; shopped for cds in Quiapo; cheered on friends who got engaged, sang many love songs on videoke with good old singing and drinking buddies; said goodbye to my home of three years and anxiously moved into a smaller place that I could now call my own; sadly watched my dearest housemates pack up and move into their own little places; found a new home for my dog; climbed the 268 steps to the big Buddha in Lantau and offered a prayer for my brother on his death anniversary; laughed out loud so many times, cried a few times; celebrated my birthday with an after dinner party with friends closest to my heart while missing those who could not be there; and capped the year with a quiet time with Papa, Mama and Mana Adette, all of us grateful for this time together while never forgetting him, whose absence will always be felt.

With deep gratitude I say goodbye to 2007 and look forward to 2008! May the New Year bring you love, peace of the soul and mind--

5 comments:

tailwagger said...

what about shaking hands with a potential lifetime partner after a dinner date? Who do you think you were - heads of state? dignitaries? Who the hell shakes hands after a date? Only you, jet. As the Tagalogs say, "pambihira". Kun ha aton pa, purbida!!!

Anonymous said...

we love you Jet!

Maria Ganja said...

Dyn, that happened ages ago-- not in 2007. I have changed since--hehehe.

And to whoever you are, same to all of you...hehehehe.

Anonymous said...

happy new year jet.
kinda mamingaw yna 4d 1st time aton dec. reunion no? hoping mas damo tawo na ad2 a tac dis yr.
later days!

mike

Anonymous said...

i love you! i love you! i love you!